Thursday, December 09, 2004

Update on David...

On Tuesday night, December 7th,  David was rushed to the hospital because he was vomiting blood.    He spent a harrowing night at Overlook Hospital in Summit where they managed to stabilize him and stop the internal bleeding.
On Wednesday, December 8th he was transported by ambulance to NYU Medical Center,   Transplant Intensive Care Unit.   He is stabile and undergoing various testing to determine the cause of the bleeding.
I will keep you updated periodically.  Thank you for all your prayers.  Please keep them up!
Special thanks to the Long Hill Township Ambulance Squad for their quick response, excellent care and calming force.


At 1:40 AM, Blogger David Bird said...

David is doing remarkably well for what he has just been through. Doctors continue to say he looks better than he has a right too. His will and determination will get him through this! Doctors at NYU Transplant ICU believe that the internal bleeding was coming from the portal veins of the liver. The build up of fluids was creating too much pressure on his liver and essentially caused the veins to burst. They do not see this as an impediment to the transplant surgery. They will continue to stablize him and strenghten him for the surgery. They have patched him up so well that his MELD score has now gone down again and they have not ruled out a living donor transplant. We are staying strong and positive and know that we will find a match.

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Kathy Bird said...

Just to clarify, that 1:40 a.m. message was from Nancy.

David is feeling much better -- light years away from 48 hours earlier.

He's got no tubes, no IVs, etc. Last night, David was up and out of bed and was served a real meal (such as it is with hospital food). Soup, chicken, mashed sweet potatoes, green beans, juice, tea, roll and cake.

The staff of NYU Transplant Center ICU is wonderful and there's a surprising casual atmosphere there at the Mary Lea Johnson Richards unit. It's all very calming and reassuring. The staff talks in terms of him being there for a "tune up" or to be "patched up" and then sent home unless they find a liver in the meantime.

"We're going to get you a liver," the doctors told him yesterday morning.

David is in good spirits and making jokes, as usual.

The word last night that none of the events of the past couple of days has created an impediment to transplant surgery, which is absolutely fabulous news!

Today (Friday, Dec. 10) he will be up and out of bed, starting physical therapy and on his way to doing laps around ICU, regaining his strength after being temporarily sidelined.

He is amazingly strong and determined. He is deeply grateful for all of the prayers, generous acts and kindnesses shown to him and Nancy and the children.

At 12:05 AM, Blogger Kathy Bird said...

David was moved out of NYU Transplant Center's Intensive Care Unit to a regular room on Sunday, Dec. 13.

He and Nancy and all of his family deeply appreciate the well wishes and prayers flowing like a great tide!

Friends helped pick out and bring home a Christmas tree and put it up and decorated the front porch so beautifully. It will be stunning when David comes home.

Alex especially enjoyed decorating the tree on Saturday evening with his Aunt Kathy and cousin Brendan.

David is resting and recuperating at NYU Medical Center and thanks everyone for their warm thoughts and positive energy. His determination, spirit and humor are strong.

Kathy Bird, Hopewell, NJ (David's sister)


Post a Comment

<< Home