Tuesday, January 04, 2005

On The Road To Recovery - With A Great Soundtrack

Hi folks! At my first official out-patient liver
transplant visit today, Dr. Thomas DiFlo declared I'm
on the ''straight and narrow'' road to recovery.
Blood workup shows ''liver numbers are perfect and
kidney function levels are back to normal.''
Amazingly, the bilirubin level (which caused my
several jaundice) is back down to just 2.4 - about 14
times below it's peak.
All 17 inches or so of my "Mercedes Benz'' logo-shaped
abdomenal incision is healthy and some of the metal
staple stitches will be removed in coming weeks.
Doctor cut back on some meds which have likely been
aggrevating my gastrointestinal system, which should
help in adding back some weight. I've dropped to 159
pounds - about 55 below pre-hospitization weight of
about 214. Not all of weight loss can be attributed to
shaving - and the goatee is coming back. I look so
different than on my release a physical therapist
didn't recognize me when we saw each other in the
hospital cafeteria.
Back next Monday for more bloodwork and further check
up.
Dr. DiFlo, who performed the transplant surgery on me
on Dec. 19, was kind enough to provide me with the
list of songs he had loaded in his MP3 player during
the lengthy surgery. The random tunes that emerged
from the 6-1/2-page list, forming the ''Soundtrack For
The Rest Of My Life'' - included: ''The First Cut is
the Deepest'' and Janis Joplin's ''Mercedes Benz''



__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
The all-new My Yahoo! - What will yours do?
http://my.yahoo.com

5 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, good to hear the Dr.'s report was so positive and that they were able to reduce/eliminate some meds - maybe now you can gain back some of that lost weight. Keep up the good work! A

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,

It's great to receive a blog from you personally!! We're extremely happy that you're recovering so well and we look forward to seeing you soon! Say the word and we'll be on your doorstep!

Nancy & George

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope "It's a Wonderful World" is on that playlist somewhere. Because it sure is...it'just great to hear you're doing so well, David.
Pam.

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, I heard about your story through a flyer and have been following it via your website. I am so happy to hear that you are doing well. All the best, Lori

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey David! Thanks for the updates..........it really helps since I don't live in the neighborhood! Just wanted to let you know you are on my mind and in my prayers everyday.........Love you.............Char

 

Post a Comment

<< Home