Monday, December 20, 2004

David is recovering well

David's angel arrived yesterday with a new liver for
him. I received the call from David at 6:00am on
Sunday, December 19,2004. David said to me,"this is
the call you have been waiting for...they have my
liver." He was very calm and matter of fact. He told
me they would take him into surgery at 8:00am and that
I shouldn't try to rush into the hospital before the
surgery. He asked me to get some nourishment and then
go to church to pray for him and for the family of the
deceased donor. He was very calm and very sure that
this was his Christmas miracle. They took him down
for surgery at 8:45am. The nurses told me not to come
to the hospital until around 6:00pm. I said,
"6:00pm???" and then she said, "well, you can come at
5:00pm if you want to." I was there by 3:00pm!! The
nurses assured me they wouldn't see him until around
5:00pm, so I went to the main lobby and took a nap.
At 4:30 I woke up and started making my way up to his
floor thinking I would wait there so the doctors could
find me. When I got to the ICU to check on his
status, they said, "oh, there you are, the doctor was
looking for you when he came out of surgery around
3:00pm" I couldn't believe it. Meanwhile, David was
brought back to ICU at about 4:30pm. I got to see him
immediately and he looked great. He was still out of
it but the nurses all said he was in really great
shape. I spoke to the Surgeon and he said everything
went well. "Perfect, in fact". David immediately
responded positively to the new organ which was
donated by someone of similiar age and size. The
doctor said the new liver was in very good condition.
The only thing we know for sure about the donor liver
is that it came from the Bronx. You gotta love the
Bronx!! (I was thankful David didn't reject it since
it may very well have come from a Yankees fan.)

David is recovering well and is just waking up now.
They will remove his breathing tube today and actually
get him up out of bed to get his blood flowing through
the new organ. It is incredible.

Thank you all for your prayers, your thoughts, your
well wishes and the enormous love and support you have
provided us. David and I have stayed strong and
positive throughout this because we have such
wonderful family and friends around us. His angel
came from heaven but you have been our angels on earth
supporting us.

I want to thank the family of the donor. We don't know
who you are but our thoughts and prayers are with you
at this difficult time. Your beloved's gift has saved
my husbands life and I cherish that gift and the
memory of this soul forever. Thank you for providing
his angel.
With all my love,
Nancy




__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

3 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Nancy for finding the time and the strength to keep us informed about David's progress. We come to the website several times a day, looking and hoping to hear more good news.

You can't imagine how we happy we are for you and David. Please know that you can call on us at any time if you need anything. We are here for you both and think of you throughout our day.

Please give our love to David.

Maureen and David (Elrich)

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW Nancy, you take my breath away with your latest addition to David's blog. I have been tapping in all day today waiting patiently for your update. I am soooooooooooo grateful David is doing well - it further proves just how right, and, unselfish his decision was in passing on the gift of life to someone else trusting his chance would come. You know we are here for you in WHATEVER capacity you need. We look forward to having David back home in the neighborhood. I share this idea with you and David from a hymn:

A grateful heart a garden is,
Where there is always room
For every lovely, Godlike grace
To come to perfect bloom.

A grateful heart a fortress is,
A staunch and rugged tower,
Where God's omnipotence, revealed,
Girds man with mighty power.

A grateful heart a temple is,
A shrine so pure and white,
Where angels of His presence keep
Calm watch by day or night.

Grant then, dear Father-Mother, God,
Whatever else befall,
This largess of a grateful heart
That loves and blesses all.

may David's new liver "come to perfect bloom" in it's new home; may David be "girded with mighty power" in his recovery whilst angels keep "watch by day or night"; and we all know it goes without saying that David's grateful (and I might add courageous and strong) heart will live on for many more years to love and bless you and yours! thinking of you guys. Amy

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so pleased and thankful that David is back on the road to recovery. please keep us informed of his progress. May God continue to bless you all!

Bill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home